Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Nancy Drew Party Invitations

Little K turns 9 years old in just a few weeks. Yikes - that's hard to believe. She's no longer a little girl, but turning into a young lady - with firm opinions of her own - and she's not afraid to fight for them.

That means the days of me being able to plan whatever kind of Birthday Party I want are gone...she is actively involved in all the decision making. This is not easy for me, but I'm learning to let go. It is - after all - HER party. I may have to start throwing parties for MY own Birthday.

It was agreed - that this years theme would be a Nancy Drew Mystery Party. She has had a sleepover party the past few years, and wanted one again, but I was able to convince her to do an afternoon party instead. It's less work for me - and she can invite more friends. We're working on compromising - so far, so good.

The invitations have been mailed - now we are waiting for responses to see who can come. There were even a few boys invited this year. Oh my - I'm really not sure I'm ready for her to grow up just yet.




Each guest was mailed a File Folder with their "character" name (chosen from the Books - of course).



There will be a Mystery that needs to be solved, and the guests will be invited to help crack the case.



The Folder is filled with lots of important details about the case.



A Note from Nancy Drew herself (AKA - Little K).



The Secret Password (written in Invisible Ink). No one will be admitted to the Crime Scene unless they know it. The invisible ink is actually just lemon juice. When you add heat to the paper (with an iron or light bulb) the writing turns brown. Hopefully the guests will be able to figure that one out on their own.



The Ransom Note from the Kidnapper.



Everything was mailed in a Top Secret Envelope.

We're working on the Decorations, and setting up Clues to the Mystery. I had grand plans on making a vintage Nancy Drew style dress, but I don't think that's going to happen. The cake has to be made, and an old fashioned lunch menu created. Lots more to be done - so I better get busy.

Stay Tuned - More Fun to Come.

9 comments:

  1. OH MY GOD! Seriously? :D Where you an event coordinator in a previous life? These invites are so cool, I think I want to come to the party! Me & my sister loved Nancy Drew when we were younger. What a great idea Karina, can't wait to see pictures after the party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like SO much fun!!! Those invites are amazing and I can't wait to see what you do with the rest of the party!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is going to be one wonderful birthday party! I've never seen such creative and labor intensive invitations! They are great! Look forward to seeing photos from the party. Hope you don't have to top this next year:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are the coolest mom!!! What a great idea for a bithday party, my daughter would love that. Such cool clues!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fun, creative, and beautifully done! I'm so happy for Little K to have such an awesome mom--wow!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun theme!!!! Great invites

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this idea! So well-executed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello!

    I found your great ideas for this party through a google search. My daughter is turning 11 in a couple of months and we want to have a Nancy Drew party. You have some wonderful ideas and the cake looked so gorgeous.

    I'm your newest follower! Happy day after Thanksgiving!
    Janelle

    ReplyDelete