Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Teachers Appreciation Week

Next week is National Teachers Appreciation Week.

Last year - we were in the middle of selling our house in Arizona and looking for a new place to call home in California.

While I did manage to show our appreciation for Little K's teachers last year, I didn't post about what we did, so here is an update from 2010.

Little K had 2 teachers that we wanted to Thank for all their hard work throughout the year.

First, was her ELP teacher (Extended Learning Program - what they call the program for gifted students)


Off to School

I put together a basket filled with green and flowering plants.

Flower Basket

With a little note of Thanks from Little K.

I didn't realize what a wonderful ELP program the Mesa School District has in place - until we moved and discovered the GATE program (Gifted and Talented Education) in California is not quite the same.

Maybe we should have gotten Mrs. S something better?

I am more thankful than ever for the great year she was able to experience while we were in Arizona.


For her everyday teacher (also Mrs. S), I asked each of the students to bring in a handwritten card or note telling what they liked best about their teacher.

Fabric Cover

I made a scrapbook album from a basic binder, and covered it with padded fabric and swatch details.

Cover Detail

I had to add a fabric flower, and buttons too.

Inside, I used Page Protectors in a variety of configurations, filled with embellished cardstock.

Decorated Pages

This way the kids notes and cards could easily be slipped into the pockets.

Decorated Pocket Page

I also added a decorated envelope - to hold more notes and cards and keep them all tidy inside the album.

Baseball Card Page

This page protector was the perfect size to hold the kids wallet school photos.

Note Cards

I included some note cards made from the same scrapbook paper and cardstock, and tucked them into one of the pockets.

We also asked each of the students to bring in a single flower. I had an empty vase, filled with water and tied with a ribbon sitting on her desk. As the kids brought up their note/card - they put the flower into the vase and she had a bouquet of fresh flowers for the rest of the day.

Teacher Bouquet

Each of Little K's teachers over the years has been completely different - and yet each one has made such an impression on her (and us). I am thankful for all they have done to help us nurture the loving and kind young girl she has become.

Thank You!


3 comments:

  1. I love ALL of this! We do the bring a flower to school day too. It's always so beautiful!

    But I gotta tell you...the basket and the sentiment....BEST thank you gift ever! LB has a fantabulous teacher this year. I think I'm going to steal this idea just for her. I love that basket you used too. Do you remember where it came from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so creative and thoughtful...I love both these teacher gifts!!

    ReplyDelete